Sunday, January 30, 2011

Scottt

Scotttie was my friend.  I met him at church.  He was the organist and music minister.  I nervously volunteered to play flute at the 5pm Mass on Saturday nights.  Eventually, I became one of his "little elves".  Nothing more than a glorified gopher, really.  He'd send me running around the chapel.... "Heidi, go-fer this.  Heidi, go-fer that."  We became friends.  We became good friends.  He bought my kids presents, not only at Christmas & for their birthdays, but also for Valentines and Easter, and treats for the Fourth of July and Thanksgiving.  He was a giver.

Because of him, I received a new flute for Christmas one year.  He asked for donations from the choir members and some members of the parish, but he funded most of it.  I was shocked.  Speechless.   It was a very humbling experience for me... that someone other than my family loved me so much.  He was definitely a 'giver'.  He gave his time, his talents, his money... himself.

He was a short little man, full of more energy than anybody else I've known.  And he was passionate.  So passionate.  Passionate about his music, passionate about his family, passionate about his friends... he loved greatly.  And he was loved greatly in return.

This week marked the 5th anniversary of his death.

I can still hear his laugh... it was more of a giggle, really.  And I can still hear the way he called my daughter "baby".  He'd say to her, "What's up, beh-by?"  And the way he'd yell at the Soprano's during choir rehearsal.  *grin*  I think of him so often.  Definitely every time I'm at church.  Christmas time is the hardest for me... oh how he LOVED Christmas.  And he would put so much effort and preparation into the music for Midnight Mass and Christmas day Mass.

I miss him so much.  So, so much.

We prayed for you at church tonight my friend.  Father Jim mentioned you by name, and the whole congregation prayed for you.  I hope you felt it.







Jesus said to her, "I am the resurrection and the life. He who believes in me will live, 
even though he dies; and whoever lives and believes in me will never die..."
John 11:25-26



.

No comments:

Post a Comment