Monday, February 14, 2011

{19}




19 Years.  That seems like a lifetime.  It's not possible that we've been married 19 years.  I'm not old enough to have been married for 19 years.  It boggles my little mind.  I have spent more than half my life with this man.  
We met in the summer of 1989, and were dating a few months later.  Although we never really went on a "date", we just hung out together.  All the time.  I knew right away that he was the one.  He "got" me.  He accepted me for who I was... faults and all.  I felt completely comfortable with him right from the start.  Like we'd known each other for years.  He was one of the first people to truly "listen" to me.  He listened to my dreams and fears, my wants and needs.  He would ask my opinion because he honestly wanted to hear it.  We could spend time together, and just "be".  We didn't feel the need to be doing something all the time, or fill the quiet, empty space with talking.  We could just sit and be together, silently.  As long as we were together, we were happy.  
And we're still that way.  As long as we're together, we're happy.  Even if it's doing something mundane like grocery shopping or sitting in the dentists office.  After 19 years we still like to be together... we haven't grown sick of each other yet.  And this man still makes me laugh.  A lot.  Every day.  I can be in a rotten mood, or be having the worst day, and he'll come home and say something so typically Dave-ish, that I can't help but laugh.

I'm not saying our marriage is perfect.  I don't think that exists.  We have our moments when we annoy each other.  I upset him.  He upsets me.  But underneath all of that there is love and true friendship.  A solid foundation.  This reminds me of the bible verse from Matthew:  Now I say to you that you are Peter (which means 'rock'), and upon this rock I will build my church, and all the powers of hell will not conquer it.  (Matthew 16:18)
Dave is absolutely my best friend.  My biggest supporter.  My fiercest defender.
I thank God every single day that He brought Dave into my life.
I have been so incredibly blessed.


Love is patient, love is kind.
It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud.
It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs.
Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth.
It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.
And now these three remain: faith, hope and love.
But the greatest of these is love.



.

No comments:

Post a Comment